Carugate: Offering a Wealth of Testing Expertise in the Electrical Sector
ULs laboratory in Carugate: Focused on appliances and dedicated to electrical safety, electromagnetic compatibility, performance, calibration services, automation and more
UL’s Laboratory in Carugate, established in 1984 as a private company, has been part of the UL family since 2003. The lab offers 1700 square meters spread over two buildings. A large team of engineers and technicians are on hand and dedicated to different sectors: electrical safety, electromagnetic compatibility (EMC), performance, calibration services and automation services.
The Carugate Lab has been operating for over 30 years in the electrical sector and has earned numerous accreditations including CBTL, ACCREDIA, IAS and OSHA. Testing and certification services for a wide range of products are provided at this location.
TESTING FOR CERTFICATION
Thanks to the above mentioned accreditations, this facility is able to test and certify to international standards. Reports and certificates issued under the IECEE CB scheme (EMC, HOUS and CONT) and ILAC- ACCREDIA are recognized within Europe and worldwide, enabling market access for household appliances and related components.
This lab can perform testing to obtain the UL and/or cUL (US and Canada) Mark for most product categories including consumer, commercial and industrial.
Thanks to many years of experience and continually updating our scope of accreditations, the Carugate Laboratory can now test and certify high power photovoltaic inverters, wind inverters and other types of inverters in accordance with low Voltage and EMC European Directives. We can also carry out these tests at customers’ premises. The lab is specialized and accredited for the tests required by several countries in Europe, Asia and Australia according to international, European and local standards and rules. For the connection to public networks, the laboratory can issue test reports and, if required, certificates through Demko Certification Office accredited IEC / ISO45011.
ELECTRO MAGNETIC COMPATIBILITY (EMC)
Electromagnetic compatibility tests can be conducted in Carugate for the following areas: Household appliances, lighting, medical and hi-tech equipment, laboratory instrumentation to standards covering ISM (industrial, scientific and medical) and the commercial and industrial environments .
We can issue CB reports under the IECEE scheme (EMC) and ILAC – ACCREDIA reports recognized within the European Accreditation, as well as reports needed to demonstrate compliance to European directives for CE Marking.
In 2016, the Laboratory obtained new accreditations from the FCC (CRF47 Part 15b and Part 18) for the North American market and ACCREDIA for Radio Devices (IEEE 802.11™ RLANs, Bluetooth®, Zigbee™, ant+, GSM 900/1800 MHz e SRD) working in the frequency range 9kHz-40GHz as Delta Type Approval (radiated spurious emission).
SPECIALISED AND PERFORMANCE TESTS
The Carugate facility can issue a range of specialized test reports (under ACCREDIA accreditation), including but not limited to:
- Mechanical, electrical, chemical and thermal.
- Tests to determine the degree of water resistance(IP) or impact resistance (IK), contact resistance, corrosion and many additional conditions and requirements.
- ‘Special’ tests required for commercial scope or public contracts. These tests are adapted to customer specifications or third part organizations (local or national government) and carried out in laboratories accredited to 17025. An accelerated life test on any type of electrical product is also available and includes a statistical analysis of the faults to calculate the average life of the products or for product optimization
- Tests related to human exposure to vibration (hand/arm or whole body transmitted) and special tests to custom specifications requested by clients (thermal, acoustic, EMC, dimensional, safety and more).
The Carugate Laboratory is an accredited centre for the calibration of instruments for laboratory use, allowing us to meet the needs of our customers requiring fully calibrated equipment in their own laboratories.
Calibration services include:
- Calibration of traditional or custom instrumentation related to physical qualities of electricity (DMM, power meters, clamp meters, dielectric testers, insulation resistance and earth continuity testers, voltage and current inter-harmonics Analyzers, THD), thermal (thermocouples, temperature data logger), weight (including gauges) and scales, crane scales, dimensional, flow meters, pressure transducers, thermal cameras, weather stations for environmental conditions monitoring and special equipment used for safety testing (glow wire, tracking, etc.).
- EMC equipment, including RF cables, directional couplers, LISN, RF amplifiers, NSA, Van Deer Loop antennas, Helmholtz Coil, CDN, voltage and current probes, voltage variation and micro dips, burst generator, surge and ring Wave, flicker, current harmonics and inter-harmonics analyzers and generators.
- Service management of metrological confirmation of apparatus / instruments subjected to calibration, or confirmation that the performance of the instrument complies both with international regulatory requirements related to tolerances for various physical quantities and with the specific standards for which the instrument is used.
- Training on calibration methods, calculation of measurement and calibration uncertainty and validation of calibration methods for both electrical safety and EMC measurements.
This laboratory has an Automation Team dedicated to software and hardware development for measurement, processing, storage of test results and the management and control of instrumentation. Originally dedicated to the automation of UL laboratories around the world, this location now provides the benefit of many years of experience in the world of testing for certification to offer services to diverse global customers.
- Software and hardware development services for automation: The creation of custom projects for data acquisition, analysis, control and generation of reports relating to all the parameters controlled by the laboratory in its various areas of expertise.
- Sale / rental of software and specific hardware (used in UL laboratories) for the management of UL commercial or developed tools for the EMC laboratory and calibration centre.li>
- Renting of complete measurement systems for testing for the purpose of certification and measurement and control systems developed according to customer specifications. The rental includes maintenance and annual accredited calibration service.
- • Custom training on the management of software developed by customers for the purpose of product certification and in accordance with regulations and international standards of production and validation of software.